Tiruvarur Sri Tyagaraja Swamy temple :
God and Godess :
- Tyagaraja Swamy ,
- Nilothpalambal ,
- Tiruvarur Tyagaraja Swamy temple,
- Sannathi (Street), Thanjai Salai,
- Vasan nagar, Tiruvarur (City),
- Tiruvarur district – 610001
- Morning 5:00AM – 12:00PM
- Evening 4:00PM – 9:00PM.
Temple History :
The Thyagaraja temple at Thiruvarur is one of the ancient heritage sites of India and is a representation of the religious-socio-cultural history of the Tamil region for a period spanning over a millennium and a half. Little is known about this shrine to much of India. Sri Thyagaraja Swamy temple is Located near Thanjavur in Tamilnadu, Thiruvarur is an ancient shrine steeped in mysticism. It is rich in legend, history, and tradition. Legend has it that the Thyagaraja (Somaskanda) image at Thiruvarur was created and worshiped by Maha Vishnu. Somaskanda is symbolic of fertility, of royal lineage etc. Thiyagaraja represents the Somaskanda manifestation of Shiva at Thiruvarur and at a few other shrines. Thiyagarajar is referred to as Veedhi Vitankar in the Tevaram hymns.The Thiyagaraja Shrine at Thiruvarur is steeped in mysticism. Thiyagaraja is associated with the Ajapaa Natanam. Lord Thiyagaraja is said to have risen from the navel of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu in his yoga stage breaths, and when Adisesha also breaths, there are waves found in the Palakadali, the milky oceaVaikuntha, where Lord Vishnu resides.The valorous Chola king brought back from Indra 7 images of Somaskanda. Sapta Vitanka Shrines refer to seven temples in the Chola kingdom enshrining images of Thiyagaraja brought to earth by Mucukunda Chakravarti.
Inside the main temple there is a separate shrine for Goddess Nilothpalambal. The Goddess, with two hands, is Aadi Parasakti. beside the Goddess, an assistant is seen carrying on her shoulder Lord Muruga- an interesting feature and the Goddess is shown touching the head of Lord Muruga. In all temples, there’s only one Chandikesvarar. At Thiruvarur, there are two Chandikeswarars, one known as Chandikesawrar and the other called as Yama Chandikesvarar, with curls of hair and beard. It is said that all those born at Thiruvarur are Sivaganas and lord Yama does not have any work to do. He complains to Easwara and says he does not have any work.There was a Chola king who ruled Thiruvarur by name Manuniti Chola. Once his son, when riding the Chariot, accidentally killed a calf on the road. As per the rules of the kingdom, a bell was kept outside the palace and anyone wishing to have one’s grievance attended to should ring the bell. The cow mother of the calf pulled the bell on seeing the dead calf. The king, the just ruler that he was, rode the chariot over his son. Pleased with the king’s sense of justice, the gods are set to have revived.
- Margazhi Thiruvadhrai(Dec – Jan),
- Panguni Uthiram (March – April) 10 days on Hastha star,
- Lord Thiageswar Granting his fee darshan(Pada Darshan),
- Day of Previous Tamil Month Masi
- Aadi Pooram(July – Aug),
- Chithirai festival (April – May),
- Pongal (Makara Sankranthi) ,
- Tamil new year ,
- Chariot festival.
Ticket price for rituals, darshanams & special sevas :
- Kala Sandhi pooja – 9:00AM.
- Ushathkala pooja – 5:00AM.
- Uchikkalam pooja – 12:00PM.
- Sayaratchai pooja – 6:00PM.
- Irandamakala pooja – 7:00PM
- Ardhajama pooja – 8:45PM.
- Archanai , Abhishekam ,Astothiram .
Nearest Temples Around Tiruvarur Sri Tyagaraja Swamy temple :
- Thirukollikadu Pongu Saneeswara temple – Tiruvarur district – 22.00 km
- Thirunageswaram Oppiliappan Koil – Thanjavur District – 37.00 km
- Omampuliyur Pranavapureeswarar Temple – Cuddalore district – 61.00 km
- Govindaputhur Gangajadatheeswarar Temple – Ariyalur district – 65.00 km
- Tanjavur Brihadeeswarar Temple – Thanjavur District – 68.00 km
- Chidambaram Anandeeswaran Temple – Cuddalore district – 80.00 km
- Thirumazhapadi VaidhyanathaSwamy Temple – Ariyalur district – 87.00 km
- Srimushnam Sri Bhoovaraha Swamy Temple – Cuddalore district – 94.00 km
- Teppakulam Uchi pillayar Kovil – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 117.00 km
- Tiruchirapalli Jambukeswara Akhilandeswari temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 118.00 km
- Avudaiyarkoil Atmanatha swamy temple – Pudukottai district – 127.00 km
- Narthamalai MuthuMari Amman temple – Pudukottai district – 130.00 km
- Peraiyur Naganatha swamy temple – Pudukottai district – 138.00 km
- Thirumayam SatyaMurthy perumal temple – Pudukottai district – 139.00 km
- Thirupattur Sri Brahmapureeswara temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 143.00 km
- Manapparai Nallandavar temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 155.00 km
Nearest Bus Stations :
- Tiruvarur – 1.00 km
- Nagapattinam – 26.00 km
- Karaikkal – 37.00 km
Nearest Railwaystations :
- Tiruvarur – 2.00 km
- Nagapattinam – 25.00 km
- Tiruthuraipoondi – 29.00 km
- Karaikal – 39.00 km
- Tanjavur Railway Station – 59.00 km
Nearest Airports :
- Tiruchirapally International Airport, Trichy – 120.00 km
- Madurai Airport,Madurai, Tamil Nadu – 263.00 km
- Chennai International Airport,Chennai – 292.00 km
- Coimbatore International Airport,Coimbatore – 327.00 km
Photos of the temple :