Namakkal Narasimha swamy temple :
God and Godess :
- Lakshmi Narasimha swamy,
- Lakshmi Devi ,
- Lord Chandra ,
- Lord Brahma ,
- Lord Shiva.
Namakkal Narasimha swamy temple,
Thilaipuram , Namakkal(City),
- Morning 7:00AM – 1:00PM.
- Evening 4:30PM – 8:00PM.
- In Thayar Shrine (Lakshmi Devi):
- Morning 7:00AM – 1:00PM.
- Evening 4:30PM – 8:00PM.
Temple History :
History: In Krutha Yuga the two gatekeepers of Sri Vaikuntam on the curse of sages were born as cruel Hiranya Brothers, Younger Hiranyaksha was killed by Mahavishnu in the Avatharam of Varaha, for his harmful deeds Sri Boomidevi.The elder Hiranyakasipu concentrated his mind and did serious penance for so many years. As a result of his penance, he got boons from Brahma Deva, that he will never meet the death by human beings, animals, earth, and sky, by any instruments in and out of the houses etc.Then Hiranya, on the Power of the boon’s, gave many troubles to sages and Devas and compelled them to pray them as “Hiranya Nama” only; and ordered that there is no other god to pray except him. As all were afraid of Hiranya, no Yagas and Deva Poojas were done. Then, worried Devas and Rishis with Brahma prayed Lord Sri Narayana to get relief from Hiranya.Therefore Sri Mahavishnu determined to kill Hiranya and blessed them. Hiranya had a son named Prahaladha. He was naturally very pious to Lord Mahavishnu. So he refused to say “Hiranyaya Nama” but he only played “Om Namo Narayanaya” Hiranya tried to change Prahaladha to pray his name instead of Lord Vishnu, in so many ways personally and through Gurns, but it proved in vain Prahaladha never said “Hiranyaya Nama” but he prayed bravely “Om Namo Narayanaya” with the company of other boys.
This created great anger to Hiranya on Prahaladha and determined to kill him. He ordered his soldiers to kill Prahaladha by elephants, cobra, and by giving poison, but all were a waste. His Vishnu Bhakti saved him from these dangers.Hiranya asked Prahaladha with great anger “Who is your God? Where is He and show Him?”, On the belief of God, Prahaladha replied proudly and bravely “Father listen! Maha Vishnu is the only god and he is the Omnipresence and eternity -you can’t destroy him”, He is everywhere in you and me also.Then Hiranya with great anger, showed a pillar and cried “Is your God in this pillar?” “certainly” here also replied Prahaladha with belief. As soon as Hiranya heard the words from Prahaladha he kicked the pillar with full of anger.
Immediately he heard a great roar and the pillar was flipped into two halves. Lord Sri Narasimha came out from the pillar with roaring, Hiranyakasipu surprised on seeing lord Narasimha and astonished himself as to what form of this creature, no man, no animal, with lion head and the human body with a cruel appearance.Then, the fight began between Hiranya and Sri Narasimha. At last Sri Narasimha dragged Hiranya towards the entrance of the palace and placed him on his thighs and torn Hiranya’s chest by his nails, at the time of sunset in this way, Hiranya was killed by Sri Narasimha.All Devas were afraid to approach Sri Narasimhaswamy, in that morose mood and so also Sri Mahalakshmi. Baktha Prahaladha prayed Sri Narasimha who blessed him with mercy and disappeared in the form of a Saligramam near Prahaladha’s Kingdom ( Ruling Place ) Prahaladha worshiped the Saligramam ever. ( where Sri Narasimha disappeared )
In Threthayuga at the period of Ramayana Sri Hanuman saved Sri Rama and others with Sanjeevi herbs which were brought from the Himalayas by him. Then Hanuman replaced it in the Himalayas. On his return through the Sky Sri Hanuman brought the Saligramam in which Sri Narasimhaswamy disappeared.In the meantime the Sun had, risen. Sri Hanuman got down to the earth to perform Santhayavanthanam because he was a great sage and bachelor. That is the place of Sri Mahalakshmi’s Tapavanam with a big holy tank named Kamalalayam where Sri Mahalakshmi was born Sri Hanuman determined to do his morning duties.Therefore he placed the Saligramam near the tank of Kamalalayam and performed Santha-Vanthanam.After he had made his duties Hanuman tried to lift the Saligramam. But he could not move it easily; which was brought by him. This confused Sri Hanuman and he worshiped the God. Then the Saligramam grew as a rock a voice rose Oh Hanuman I determined to stay here, I was brought by you. First, you go to Lanka and save Sri Ramachandramurthy.If you want to worship me, you will come here after Ramavatharam and pray ever in front of me in Kaliyuga. Thus Sri Hanuman is even now at Namakkal Sthalam on the western side of the rock standing in the open air, worshipping in front of Sri Narasimha Swamy.
Here Sri Mahalakshmi’s prayer made Lord Narasimha Swamy calm. Then he blessed Sri Mahalakshmi and gave her so many boons. From that time, the name to Mahalakshmi was spread as Sri Namagiri Lakshmi to God Sri Lakshmi Narasimha. Sri Narasimhaswamy is in the cave temple with so many beautiful sculptures.Tha Sanctum Sanctorum ( Gurbhagrham )and Ardhamandapam are in the cave. Sri Narasimhaswamy is sitting in chief place with the sages Sanaka, Sanandana, Surya, Candra holding and Chamaram and in the last Siva and Brahma are praying.So Namakkal is called as one of the Trimoorthy Sthalam’s. We can see in Ardhamandapam walls, very beautiful sculptures, the Mahavishnu’s Avatharams! ” Sri Vaikuntha Narayana” with Sun, Moon, Siva Brahma, Markandeya, and Boomadevi. Abhaya Narasimha Swamy is also here. In the next wall, we can see Sri Ugra Narasimha tearing the Hiranya’s chest by nails. On the other side wall, Sri Vaamanamoorthy is getting danam by Bali Chakravarty. Sukrachari is punished by Garuda for disturbing the Danam. Jambavan is drumming in the sky.
In the same wall, Sri Mahavishnu as Trivikrama is measuring the earth and sky. In the next wall, Sri Varahamoorthy is bearing the four Veda’s all power heads on the nose, and holding Sri Bhoomadevi by two hands. On the eastern side of the rock, there is also a cave temple. Here also we can see Sri Ranganatha lying on Karkotaka Naga who performed penance.In the same cave temple, we can see Sankara Narayana and on the other side Vaamanavatharam as is in Sri Narasimha’s temple. These are protected by the Archaeological Department as the monuments maintained by the H.R. & C.E. Dept of the State Government and Poojas are performed as per Vaikanasa Aagama.The glories of Goddess Sri Namagiri Thayar is spread in all over India up to the Himalayas and Cape Comarin. The devotees who visit Namakkal first; they heartly worship Namagiri Thayar and worship with most devotion and special poojas.In time their desires are fulfilled by Sri Namagiri Ammal’s mercy.
Devotees here offers Kanikies, Sarees, and Jewels etc. The Dasara festival is performed for ten days to Sri Namagiri Amman with happiness. The Car festival is celebrated for 15 days to Sri Narasimha, Sri Ranganatha, and Sri Hanuman in the star of Panguni Hastham in every year. The Hanuman Jayanthi is celebrated by devotees of all over grand manner during the New Moon day of Margazhi month.
Tha myths say the ( Sculptures ) cave temples were constructed by Viswakarma ( Divine Mason ) but the Archaeological Department says that caves are constructed by Pallavas. There is no statue without canopy but the great Hanuman of Namakkal is as high as 18 feet but fully exposed.Namakkal is a famous Sthalam because of Sri Namagiri Thayar’s mercy ness, the greatness to Lakshmi Narasimha’s cave temple and the greatness of the Hanuman.The Devotees perform the Vadamala Abhisheka to Sri Hanuman for relief from the Sani and Ragu Graham
- Tamil New year (April),
- Telugu new year ,
- Vaigasi Visaagam(April – May) ,
- Aadi – 18 in August ,
- Aadi Pooram Sri NAmagiri Thayar in swing ,
- Avani Pouthira Urchavam(September) ,
- Sri Narasimhar Jayanthi(Sep – Oct) ,
- All 4 Saturday in Puratasi(Sep – Oct),
- Navaratri Urchavam (Oct),
- Vijaya dasami ,
- Karthigai Deepam(Dec),
- Hanuman Jayanthi in Margali(On Full Moonday in Margali Moolam star), Special Poojas in full month of Margali ,
- Vaikunta Ekadasi ,
- Harvest Festival(Pongal) In January ,
- Varuda Urchavam in Panguni(15 days has been celebrated in hasta star).
Ticket price for rituals, darshanams & special sevas :
- Archanai ,
- Abhishekam ,
- Astothiram ,
- NityaKarthigai pooja – Rs.5000/-
- Monthly pooja – Rs.500/- (for one year),
- Archana(for 1 year in every month) – Rs.300/-
Nearest Temples Around Namakkal Narasimha swamy temple :
- Chettikulam Dandayuthapani temple – 81 km
- Tiruchengode Arthanareswara temple – 37 km
- Chettikulam Ekambareeswara temple – 78 km
- Thanthondrimalai Venkataramana swamy temple – 54 km
- Trichy(tiruchirapalli) Jambukeswar temple – 82 km
- Kulithalai Kadamba vaneswarar temple – 48 km
- Manapparai Nallandavar temple – 84 km
- Karur Pasupateeswarar temple – 47 km
- Perur(Coimbatore) patteeswarar temple – 158 km
- Pollachi Subramanya temple – 163 km
- Palani Dandayuthapani temple – 152 km
- Palani Idumban temple – 151 km
- Dindigul Srinivasa temple – 122 km
- Dindigul Abhirami/Kalahasteeswara temple – 123 km
- Vadachennimalai BalaSubramanya temple – 109 km
- Siruvachur Madthura kaliamman temple – 120 km
- Srirangam Ranganatha temple – 82 km
- Avinashi Lingeswara temple – 123 km
- Devarmalai Kathi Narasinga temple – 79 km
- Mecheri Badrakali Amman temple – 82 km
- Thirupattur Brahmapureeswara temple – 77 km
- Uttukuli Vetrivelayutha temple – 107 km
- Elumathur Arudra Kabaliswara swamy temple – 60 km
- Salem Sugavaneswarar temple – 50 km
- Kangayam Kariyakaliamman temple – 81 km
- Thirumurugan poondi ThirumurugaNatha temple – 122 km
- Murudamalai Subramanya temple – 179 km
- Bannari Bannari Amman temple – 129 km
- Erode Sakti Vinayagar temple – 58 km
- Satyamangalam venugopala temple – 116 km
- Chinnatirupati(Karuvalli) Prasanna venkatanarayana temple – 78 km
Nearest Bus Stations :
- Namakkal – 1.00 km
- Tiruchengode – 36.00 km
- Karur – 40.00 km
- Sankari – 47.00 km
- Erode – 57.00 km
Nearest Railwaystations :
- Namakkal – 2.00 km
- Karur Railway station – 39.00 km
- Erode Junction – 59.00 km
Nearest Airports :
- Tiruchirapally International Airport, Trichy – 91.00 km
- Coimbatore International Airport,Coimbatore – 148.00 km
- Kempegowda International Airport,Bangalore – 289.00 km
- Calicut International Airport,Kozhikode – 303.00 km
- Cochin International Airport,Cochin/kochi – 306.00 km
- Chennai International Airport,Chennai – 369.00 km
- Kannur International Airport, Kannur – 409.00 km
Photos of the temple :