Guruvayur Sri Guruvayurappan temple :
God and Godess :
- Lord Srikrishna(Guruvayoorappan),
- Lord Guru,
- Lord vayudeva.
Guruvayur Sree Guruvayurappan temple,
Guruvayur devasom, Guruvayur / Guruvayoor,
Thrissur district – 680101
- All Days of the week,
- Morning 3:00AM – 1:30PM,
- Evening 4:30PM – 9:30PM
Temple History :
Sri Guruvayur temple is an Ancient hindu religious temple of lord Sri Krishna located in the temple town Guruvayur in Kerala.It is also reffered as “Bhuloka Vaikunta”.The lord Sri Krishna is a four-armed standing the Conch Panchajanya, the discus sudarshana chakra the mace Kaumodaki and a Lotus with holy basil garland.The holy places like Kashi and Rameswaram have magnificent temples which besides their spiritual significance are noted for their Antiquity and historical importance.
The devotees are believed that here the God having the power to ruins the long term diseases.The glory of guruvayur was revealed by sage Dattatreya to king janameja them son of Parikshit.According to the sage the image of Guruvayur was originally worshipped by Narayana.
The place of Guruvayur has been also come to be justify Dwaraka of the south.Thus rests on the idol installed there which presents the full manifestation of the lord Mahavishnu as was revealed to Vasudeva and devakiat the time of Krishnavatara.
On 30th Nov 1970 after the 6th day of the annual Ekadasi festival a disastrous fire broke out in the temple hindus,Muslim and cristians fought the fire shoulder to shoulder.Despite 5 hours of the raging fire the Srikovil the vigraha of Guruvayurappan,and Subshrines of Ganesha,Ayyappa and devi and the flag staff remained infact.
In 1789,Tipusulthan,haider Ali’s son and successor descended on the scene to defeat the Zamorin and to convert hindus to islam .Fearing destruction of the image the Mulavigraha(Maindiety) was hidden underground and the Utsavavigraha was taken to Ambalpuzha.Tippu set fire to and plundered the temple But a timely rain and an incorporeal voice averted a major cata strophe after the English drove out tippu,Both vigrhas were (Main diety and Utsavavigraha) re installed from 1875 to 1900 , The ulland panikars came in and offered their free secures to the lord apart from contributing from their family estates.
In 1841 the Govt of Madras restored the devadaya Appropriated by Tippusulthan.A special matter in this temple is the Udayastamaya pooja the devotees were booked next for 40 years.
- Saraswathi pooja
- Ashtami rohini
- Cultural festivals :
- Chembai music festival
- Narayaneeyam day
- Poontham day
- Guruvayur Utsavam
- Aspicious festivals :
- Somavara vratham
Ticket price for rituals, darshanams & special sevas :
- Timings – Pooja
- 3:00AM to 3:30AM – Nirmalyam
- 3:20AM to 3:30AM – Oilabhishekam,Rakacharthu,Sankhabhishekam.
- 3:30AM to 4:15AM – Mular Nivedyam,Alankaram.
- 4:15AM to 4:30AM – Ushanivedyam.
- 4:30AM to 6:15AM – Ethirettu pooja followed by Ushapooja.
- 7:15AM to 9:00AM – Seeveli,Palabhishekam,Navakabhishekam,Pantheeradi nivedyam and pooja.
- 11:30AM to 12:30PM – Ushapooja(The noon pooja).
- 4:30PM to 5:00PM – Seeveli.
- 6:00PM to 6:45PM – Deeparadhana.
- 7:30PM to 7:45PM – Athazha pooja nivedyam
- 7:45PM to 8:15PM – Athazha pooja nivedyam.
- 8:45PM to 9:00PM – Athazha seveli.
- 9:00PM to 9:15PM – Thrippuka,Olavayanam.
- 9:15PM – The sreekovil will be closed on the day of special illuminations called “Vilakku”the Thripuka is performed after that the sreekovil will be closed after traditional dance drama on lord Krishna’s life is enacted inside the temple on specified days.
Nearest Temples Around Guruvayur Sri Guruvayurappan temple :
- Palakkad – Kalapathy temple complex. – 95Km.
- Palakkad – Thiruvalathur randu moorthy temple. – 95Km.
- KalleKulangara – Sri Emoor Bhagavathy temple. – 91Km.
- Karimpuzha – Sri RamaSwamy temple – 65Km.
- Kumbidi – Panniyur Srivarahamurthy temple – 34Km.
- Palappuram – Sri Chinakkathoor Bhagavathy temple. – 60Km.
- Nemmara – Sri NelliKulangara temple – 75Km.
- Puthur – Sri ThirupurakkalBhagavathi temple. – 37Km.
- Palakkad – Sri Parakkat Bhgavathi temple – 95Km.
- Puttambi – Ongallur taliyil Shiva temple – 33Km.
- Malappuram – Kadam puzha bhagavathy temple – 72Km.
- Coimbatore – Marudamalai temple – 148Km.
- Sidhapudur – Sree Ayyappa temple – 141Km.
- Coimbatore – Arulmigu
- Chokkalingeswarar Analayam temple – 137Km.
- Kurundamalai – Kulanthai velayuthaswami temple – 171Km.
- Perur – Patteswarar temple – 135Km.
- Ernakulam – Shiva temple – 83Km.
- Chottanikkara – Chottanikkara Bhagavathi temple – 97Km.
- Udayamperoor – Ameda temple – 95Km.
- Paravoor – Mookambika temple – 235Km.
Nearest Bus Stations :
- Guruvayur – 0Km
- Thrissur – 28Km
- Kunnamkulam – 8Km
Nearest Railwaystations :
- Guruvayur – 1Km
- Thrissur – 27Km
Nearest Airports :
- Cochi Airport – 80Km.
- Coimbatore Airport – 156Km.
- Trivendram Airport – 288Km.
- Calicut Airport – 100Km.
Photos of the temple :