Chettikulam Dandayuthapani temple :
God and Godess :
- Dandayuthapani Swamy.
Chettikulam Dandayuthapani Swamy temple,
Chettikulam(Village), Alathur (Taluk),
Perambalur district – 621104,
- Morning 6:00AM – 12:00PM.
- Evening 5:30PM – 8:00PM.
Temple History :
Lord Muruga in Dhandayuthapani form has tonsured head in all temples. Against this established principle, Lord Dhandayuthapani in this temple appears in a beautiful hair style. He is 4 feet tall holding a sugarcane with 11 partition lines. This is the only temple where devotees can have this darshan.Lord Muruga granted darshan to Sage Againsthya as a bangle seller called Valayal Chetty. (Valayal-Bangle, Chetti- trader). Lord Muruga is also said to have guided Paranthaka Chola and Kulasekhara Pandya and helped them quell the fury of Kannaki and calm her in the form of Madhurakali. The place is also known as Vadapalani as Lord Muruga graces in a form as in Palani in the south.The significance lies in the Lord’s Swayambumurthi form. He is holding a red sugarcane here. The Panchanadhi River is always full of water. The rainwater flows into the river through the herbal plants on the hill and has all medicinal properties. The prayer commitments to Palani can be executed here. Sage Agasthya Mahamuni had worshiped lord here. Saint Arunagiriar had praised this temple in his hymns.
History: The Devatas appealed to Lord Shiva in Kailasa to protect them from the cruel activity of the demons. Goddess Parvathi was also present in the Kailasa at that time.Lord Muruga rose up and promised to destroy them and got the Shakti weapon called Vel from His Mother. He returns back to his Mother to announce his victory over the demons and the destruction of their chief demon.As a token of Her congratulations to the victorious son, She gave the sugarcane held by Her.Then Lord Muruga came to this temple with this sugarcane.The presiding deity in this temple is a Swayambumurthi. On 3rd, 4th and 5th days of Masi (February-March) the rays of setting Sun to fall on the deity.During the setting time, the rays will fall on the deity from foot to the face.
- Panguni Uthiram festival (March – April),
- Thaipoosam Car Festival(10 days) ,
- Vaikasi- Visagam(Conch Abhishek with Special Poojas in May – June),
- Aipasi Skandashasti (Oct – Nov with Laksharchana).
Ticket price for rituals, darshanams & special sevas :
- Kala Sandhi pooja – 8:00AM – 9:00AM.
- Uchikala pooja – 11:00AM – 12:00PM.
- Sayarakha pooja – 5:30PM – 6:30PM
- Ardhajama pooja – 7:30PM – 8:00PM.
- Archanai ,
- Abhishekam ,
- Astottaram .
Nearest Temples Around Chettikulam Dandayuthapani temple :
- Chettikulam Ekambareswarar Swamy temple – Perambalur district – 2.00 km
- Siruvachur Madhura Kali Amman temple – Perambalur district – 16.00 km
- Thirupattur Sri Brahmapureeswara temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 18.00 km
- Teppakulam Uchi pillayar Kovil – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 42.00 km
- SriRangam Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 45.00 km
- Tiruchirapalli Jambukeswara Akhilandeswari temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 53.00 km
- Namakkal Narasimha swamy temple – Namakkal district – 81.00 km
- Vadachennimalai Murugan Temple – Salem district – 92.00 km
- Thirunageswaram Oppiliappan Koil – Thanjavur District – 93.00 km
- Manapparai Nallandavar temple – Tiruchi / Tiruchirapalli district – 94.00 km
- Tiruchengode Arthanareeswara swamy temple – Namakkal district – 117.00 km
- Salem Sugavaneshwarar Temple – Salem district – 132.00 km
- Chidambaram Anandeeswaran Temple – Cuddalore district – 132.00 km
- Chidambaram Tillai Nataraja temple – Cuddalore district – 134.00 km
- Karuvalli Prasanna Venkata Ramana Temple – Salem district – 165.00 km
- Mecheri Bhadrakali amman Temple – Salem district – 169.00 km
Nearest Bus Stations :
- Perambalur – 19.00 km
- Thuraiyur – 24.00 km
- Ariyalur – 50.00 km
Nearest Railwaystations :
- Sillakkudi – 34.00 km
- Kallagam – 36.00 km
- Pullambadi – 38.00 km
- Ariyalur – 39.00 km
Nearest Airports :
- Tiruchirapally International Airport, Trichy – 55.00
- Coimbatore International Airport,Coimbatore – 239.00
- Chennai International Airport, Chennai – 272.00
- Kempegowda International Airport,Bangalore – 367.00
- Calicut International Airport,Kozhikode – 374.00
- Cochin International Airport,Cochin/kochi – 378.00
Photos of the temple :